Remember your new year resolutions? How are you doing in keeping to them? If they included taking care of yourself by eating better, then read on.
Today’s blog is the third in a four-part series on the amazing benefits some easy-to-find foods that are found all around us. I want to bring greater awareness of the intrinsic properties these foods possess that support our health and well-being. This blog focuses on the health benefits of avocados.
The avocado is a member of the flowering plant family Lauraceae. The fruit is called an avocado, or an n avocado pear or alligator pear. It’s either pear-shaped, egg-shaped or round with a thick green-skinned fleshy body which is a large berry containing a single large seed. How does eating avocados benefit our health? Avocados are sometimes referred to as super fruits. They are delicious, stuffed with nutritional and health benefits for your eyes, heart and much more.
Avocados support heart health
- Avocados contain the plant chemical beta-sitosterol which helps maintain healthy cholesterol levels. They are packed with mono-unsaturated fat and when eaten in moderation in place of saturated and trans fat, can help reduce the bad (or LDL) cholesterol.
Avocados support healthy eyes
- The carotenoids lutein and zeaxanthin are found in avocados. Both have been shown to keep the eyes healthy as we age and may help reduce the risk of macular degeneration, the leading cause of vision loss as we age.
Avocados support growth and development
- Avocados contain 3.5 grams of unsaturated fat per 1 ounce serving or 1/5th of an avocado. Unsaturated fat is important for proper growth and development of the central nervous system, especially the brains of children and adolescents.
Avocados support proper blood pressure
- Avocados are free of sodium and have a good proportion of potassium which may help lower blood pressure. When avocados are eaten in place of other fats, like butter and mayonnaise, they can help control blood pressure.
Avocados support weight loss
- Avocados are full of healthy fat, which takes the body longer to digest so keep you feeling full and satisfied so you’re less likely to snack. They are nutrient packed with over 20 vitamins, minerals and nutrients which is beneficial in maintaining all the nutrition your body needs.
Treat yourself to this super food today!